Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Yarn, yarn, yarn as far as the eye can see!


Clapotis de Jojoland
Originally uploaded by WackyAuntie
Back from Stitches West 2008, my first, and loaded up with yarn goodies and projects galore. Loved meeting the geniuses behind Ravelry, Jess and Casey. They truly have created something phenomenal. And they're so young too! What a fantastic example of entrepreneurial spirit in the technological age. Knitting will never be the same again.

Finally took the plunge and entered the Realm of Clapotis with a lovely bunch of yarn from Jojoland, in Rhythm, a worsted weight. It's a soft blend of blues, camels and sand. Reminds me of the beach...without the smell of salty seaweed, barking seals or sand blowing into my eyes. Upon my return home I promptly prepared my stuff and got knitting. I do believe I'll love my Clapotis! Fantastic pattern and I can even concentrate on it and my nightly Tivo queue. Always a good combination. I absolutely can't, can't wait until the dropping of stitches begins! True to form I've only gotten several inches into it and already I'm dreaming of what yarn to use in my second, then third; who will I knit one for at Christmas....

What else was snagged at Stitches: Two adorable hat patterns and hat kit at the WhitKnits booth (her colors and designs are amazing and quite whimsical) and (drumroll) two absolutely, divinely soft skeins of Malabrigo in the most decadent, deep peacock-turquoise blue....ahhhhhhhh, it makes my heart sing...and they were on sale too!
Lately I'm very "blues" possessed/obsessed. Most of my purchased involve some form of blue, particularly this shade of jewel-toned loveliness. Even it's name is evocative: Tuareg. I've no idea what it is, where it is, what it means but it just about sums up the exotic richness of this yarn and colorway. Now the hard part . . . what to use it for? Or do I just let it sit on the shelf and admire it's beauty?

What else... Oh yes, my first purchase was at the WEBS booth and was it fun wandering the seemingly endless aisles touching, stroking and gazing at yarns I've ogled online but never witnessed first hand. This booth held my main impulse buys: many many skeins of Debbie Bliss Silk Alpaca in my favorite colors of cornflower blue and cream. I confess. . . my purchase was abruptly decided upon when I saw others circling the bins and only a few bags left. That was all it took and I found myself juggling yarns-clutching them to my chest-trying not to drop everything on the floor. Willpower was in effect though: I put back the bag of "to-die-for-royal-blue" and only kept one and a half bags of the cornflower and cream. There's something about blue and cream that just soothes my soul. No idea what I'll make and don't care. I just love looking at them sitting here peacefully together, enjoying each other's company immensely!

Then when I didn't think it possible to carry more, I saw the perfect cable scarves samples hanging on a bin, calling out to me. Boom...grab a pattern, then it's decision time as to colors. Oh the agony! After much deliberation I made my choice. . . . and it was, yes, Blue! This time a sky blue in Valley Yarns Lenox. I'm nothing if not predictably obsessed.

These sample scarves are examples of savvy retailing at its best. I bought not only the pattern (it was so cheap I had to buy it and contains not one, but two patterns!) but the same yarn, in a different color. The yarn is absolutely buttery soft and something I'd never had considered if left to my online shopping. This yarn needs touching in person to convince you to buy. And I did! The Webs booth was a highlight and I adored seeing not only Steve and Kathy Elkins manning the tills (and putting faces to the podcast voices) but also seeing Grandpa right next to them ringing up sales. A wonderful thing to see: a thriving, well run, independent family store in this era of chain stores.

My "deal of the show" was literally found as I was leaving (with Aaron circling out front waiting for me to appear at the entrance). At The Knitter's Studio.

Why oh why did it take until I'm leaving to find the best deal? These balls of eye-popping colors caught my eye first, then the 40% off sign second. So, my cell phone ringing with an inquiring husband wondering what's taking so long, I'm frantically purchasing enough (I hope) to make something lovely. . . eventually . . . someday. At the moment these lovely Elle Alpaca Merino skeins, Misses Shiraz and Sheba, are sitting up here with Miss Tuareg of Malabrigo, keeping each other company in my "Pooh Room". And looking quite cheeky too, pleased they've found a home.

Enough talking about yarn . . . time to go knit (Or in reality: Go make dinner and see what mischief Mr. J-Man has got up to while I was preoccupied with my blogging - I shudder to think of the messes I'll find)!

No comments: